top of page

Columbus, Ohio Grandparents’ Visitation Rights Attorneys

We all know that a child’s best interest is of utmost importance when deciding who gets visitation rights. Certainly, the grandparents of a child have a vested interest in their grandchildren. That’s why the law allows for grandparents to obtain visitation rights in certain situations. If you are a grandparent in Columbus or the state of Ohio, you should know that as long as it is in the best interest of the child, and doesn’t affect the child-parent relationship, then you do have certain rights to see your grandchild and have an ongoing relationship with that child.


Grandparents have rights to see a grandchild even if a parent is deceased, or whether or not the parents are divorced. Other factors to consider include matters such as if a parent marries a stepparent, and what if that stepparent adopts the child? What if the child has been abused or neglected? What if the parents were never married? What if a parent feels that they have the final say? What if the child is dependent or over the age of 18? What if paternity hasn’t been proven? What if the child is adopted by strangers or a relative? What if a parent has mental issues?

The best way to answer questions like these, and to move forward with your particular situation, would be to hire an experienced and knowledgeable grandparent’s visitation rights attorney. Knowing the law and what matters in particular situations is why hiring an attorney is certainly your best bet.


Federal or Ohio Grandparents’ Visitation Law

There is no federal law regarding grandparents visitation rights, it is up to each state to establish their own law and guidelines. That is why it makes sense to hire an attorney who knows the law in Ohio.


What the Ohio Court is Looking for When Granting Visitation Rights for Grandparents

What the child wishes

The health of the child

The wants of the parent(s)

The child’s relationship with its parents

The age of the child

What adjustments a child has to make

The safety of the child

Availability of time of the child

Availability of time of the parents

The distance between where the child lives and where the grandparents live

The grandparents' criminal record

The child’s relationship with other relatives

The physical health of all parties involved

The mental health of all parties involved


Practical and Honest Advice

If a parent or parents of your grandchild are not willing to let you spend time with their child or children, then you do have options and rights in your favor. At Barney DeBrosse Attorneys at Law we will be honest and straight forward. Don’t leave visiting your grandchildren to chance. Schedule a confidential consultation with our Columbus, Ohio attorneys today.

Ohio Grandparents' Visitation Rights FAQ

What if my grandchild is adopted? Can I still get visitation rights?

Even if your grandchild is not biological, you have rights. Every situation is different and special. Be sure to contact us on what can be done in your particular situation.


Do grandparents have the same rights as other relatives?

In essence, a grandparent is considered a third party as are most relatives other than a parent. However, there are many factors the court will consider.


My child is deceased, do I still have visitation rights to my grandchild?

You likely do, although each situation has varying factors that play a role when deciding visitation rights. If you are unsure, give us a call.


How much visitation time with my grandchild can I get?

It all depends on your type of situation and that of the child’s. There is no set limit to the amount of time. It is generally set by the court.


I want actual custody of my grandchildren. Can you help me?

We should note that visitation rights to see your grandchild is much different than actual custody, which is a total different matter entirely. We are child custody attorneys too, but obviously the burden is much higher to convince the court of your right to custody over a parent’s.


What if I’ve been given visitation rights by the court, but the parent(s) still won’t allow me to visit my grandchild?

If you have been awarded visitation rights, but still are not allowed to see a grandchild, then your attorney can file a motion of contempt with the court.

bottom of page